One of my favorite summer past-times is Saskatoon berry picking. We are so fortunate to have wild saskatoons growing in pastures and bush all around us. I don't know about you but I always seem to have saskatoons in my freezer. Perfect to thaw to make muffins, and pies.
It's always exciting to find and try some new recipes especially, when it calls for Saskatoons. Here is a recipe for you to try if you have some extra Saskatoons to use up before the upcoming season.
Saskatoon Oatmeal Cookie Bars
3/4 cup butter (softened)
3/4 cup brown sugar (packed)
1/4 cup white sugar
2 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup unsweetened coconut
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 1/2 cups quick oats
1 1/2 - 2 cups saskatoon berries thawed
1/4 c flour to mix with thawed saskatoons
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9"x11" pan with butter or non-stick cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl combine softened butter, brown and white sugar, egg, milk, and vanilla extract until light and fluffy.
3. In a medium bowl stir together the dry ingredients: flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, quick oats and coconut.
4. Add dry ingredients to the butter mixture, and mix thoroughly.
5. Drain and add the 1/4 cup of flour to the thawed saskatoons.
6. Carefully fold in the saskatoons to the batter. Be careful not to break the berries.
7. Add batter to the greased 9"x11" cake pan, level out batter to edges and bake for 25 mins. Cool and cut up, store in a air tight container.